Tuesday, January 29, 2013

{diy wedding gift ideas)

What do you get for an aunt that is getting married who has everything already? Hmmmm....sounds like time to do a little research on Pinterest! My mom and I decided to make His and Her aprons because they like to cook and a framed message board. Here was our inspiration (click on pic for pin):




I wish I had thought to take pictures of the aprons and message board before we wrapped them because they were way cute! For the message board we took a pretty 8x10 frame and put this beautiful scrapbook paper with "p.s. I love you" printed towards the bottom. Then we hot glued some fabric flowers to the corner like in the picture. 

Who ever started the whole using a picture frame as a dry erase board fad was a genius. You can use them for anything! About six months ago I made these little beauties. I love fun colors, stripes and polka dots for my kitchen. 



My mom made me the calendar last year for Christmas!

I loved this idea from Pinterest! I just check off and date when I complete something.

Helps me remember what the heck I'm suppose to do!

This is my Insanity Program workout schedule. Since I just completed that I am wondering
what else I should put in this frame?


So many things you can do with pictures frames! That's why I have an obsession with them. I have about a hundred different black frames. A lot you will see in my family room make over!

Anyway back to DIY wedding gifts. Another one that would be super cute is the Scrabble magnetic board! I have two and I love them! My mom and Garett both made me one for Christmas without knowing it haha. We have one by our kitchen covering up the circuit box. Everyone plays with that one. And then we have one in our bedroom for us to write messages on : )

The one Garett made me!
The one my mom made me!


One day I might Modge Podge some cute paper onto it but I kind of like the metal. But I think this would be a fun and unique gift and it is inexpensive. Find a frame at a thrift store ($5 or so) and paint it whatever color you want and go to Lowe's and they will cut the sheet metal ($8) to whatever size your frame is. I find Scrabble games at thrift stores too. They are pretty popular since Pinterest so whenever I see one I grab it! I got one the other day for $1.50. Or if you are like my family we already had two Scrabble games and just used those. Then all you have to do is get that magnetic tape from a craft store (no more than $3) and you are set!

After we finished the gift for my aunt we needed a card. I wanted something a little more personal than a store bought card so I decided to make one. I had pinned one I like so I used that for inspiration. 

Pinterest Inspiration
My creation
Supplies for Wedding Card
blank card or card stock
black and white card stock
pretty paper for dress
letter stickers
semi thick double sided tape
embellishments - I used pearl stickers and flower brads both can be found at any craft store

1. To make the card I used a blank cream card that I already had (or you could use card stock to make your own base card). I chose cream so the neck of the bride would be skin color.
2. Cover half of the front of the card with the black card stock. Cut out an elongated diamond shape out of the white card stock for the white shirt. Glue it on so it sticks out above the base card like in the picture. Then cut out the jacket lapels. (Sorry I just eyeballed these and the shirt pieces so I don't have a template, but it is really easy to do!) I used the thick double sided tape to attach these to the card so they would stand out. Also cut out two little triangles for the bow tie and glue them on. Lastly, add the embellishments. When I did the flower I poked the card with a push pin first because the brad wasn't sharp enough to go through all the card stock.
3. Now the bride side. Again I just eyeballed the dress. I drew it on the paper and then cut it. You can have fun with this and do whatever shape you want! I just wanted a dress shape big enough at the bottom so I could use the black stickers. Glue the dress on and then add the embellishments.
4. Now you can put anything you want on the card. Initially I was going to spell out LOVE but I had enough letters to do the Mr. & Mrs. so I went with that! The possibilities are endless!
5. On the inside to hide the brads you can glue in cute paper or a photo or whatever you want.
 
Homemade gifts are awesome! If I know the recipient well I will do a homemade gift, because I know they will appreciate it. If I don't know the person that well I honestly don't want to waste my time on something they may not even like, so I stick to their registry.

I got some homemade gifts for my wedding and I loved them! Here is one that I absolutely adore and it's on my wall right now! It's made out of a cabinet door! Awesome!




I didn't make it but I can tell you how to make it! 

1. The base is a cabinet door! You could find one at any hardware store or if you can score one at a thrift store that would be cheaper. I have also heard of people finding them for cheap in the "As Is" section at Ikea. 
2. Paint the cabinet whatever color you want. 
3. For the picture you could do any picture you desire or if you want to spell something get creative and find the letters in everyday things around you. I also know that Hobby Lobby has picture letters both in color and black and white. 
4. Sand the area you want to put the pictures with a medium-grit paper. It will help the paper stick to the wood better! 
5. Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the sanded area. While that dries apply a thin layer to the back of the photos. 
6. Once the Mod Podge on the wood is dry to the touch lay the photos where you want them and smooth them out using either you hand or a flat edge for a couple of minutes. Work from the center to the edges. 
7. Allow the glue to fully dry for 2-3 hours then apply a a thin layer of Mod Podge to the surface of the photos. Let dry 3-4 hours then apply another coat and let it dry over night.
8. Lastly, find a sweet decorative knob! Hobby Lobby has a lot and they are always 50% off!   


No comments:

Post a Comment